(me)
I am sitting on the side of the road because i have a freaking flat
tire. But i am at least on the beach highway.
I will not let this deter me. Kate is playing in the sand and after i
get this bad boy fixed i am going to the mall! At least thats my plan.
I know how to change a flat, but i dont trust my skills enough to do
that today. So im waiting.
(friend)
It is like a norman rockwell painting. Who are you getting to fix it?
(me)
What is like a painting?
The only person who would answer their phone is my friend who is my
health insurance agent. He just got here, just in time to rescue me
from the 1 person who stopped-this old man who played 21 questions to
find out my life story while he just sat in his truck. He had helpful
comments like "you are very attractive" and "are you dating anyone"
and "men dont always think with the right head.". Yes those helped my
tire immensely. So it took these two men to loosen the lugnuts and i
should be rollin on the spare in 5.
We were just kickin it on the beach. Kate took all her clothes off and
as a good momma im always prepared. I had sunscreen and beach toys so
it was good. It took both men to finish the tire. The spare, of
course, was flat so one of the men, the one that was using his *head*
had a tire blower upper thingie so they did that, one followed me to
the tire store and promptly left. So it was just Kate, me, and the
caveman running the gulfport firestone. Here's what i told him. Please
keep in mind this is my first flat.
M=me
FC=firestone caveman.
M: hello sir. You look like a busy man. I am a busy girl. Lets not
waste each other's time. I have a flat and i want to know if you can
fix it.
FC-well i dont know if i can fix it. We have to look at it.
M: ok well do you have time to look at it.
FC-yes but it depends on how long you have.
M:well im very patient. She (kate) is not. (FC laughs). How long are
we talking?
FC: well it will be 45 minutes before we can look at it and then if we
can fix it it wont take too long.
M: ok well I figure if I go anywhere else it will take that long
right? (I was joking)
FC: haha yeah. Which tire is it?
M: um the right left no right. Right front.
FC: do you mean passenger front?
M: yes that's the lingo. Glad you know it.
FC: well I should know the lingo.
M: well this is my first flat tire.
FC: well I am honored.
M: ok we are going to find some food and well be back.
The store was of course full of men so I know I looked silly. While
walking out one of the men said "there's a cafe across the street."
Now I felt obligated to go because I didn't see anywhere else.
So we walked across the street. I am in downtown gulfport at this
point. What does the sign on the door say in handwriting? No credit or
debit cards. I have no cash. I asked it they would take a check and
they said yes. This restaurant is about the size of two dorm rooms.
They bring me a menu and it was just written today on a piece of paper
with a blue pen. So what does one do in a situation like that? Order
the daily special. Fried chicken, green beans, mashed potatoes, tea,
rolls and cake. For 6 dollars. Since kate and I split stuff she ate
the cake and the green beans and I ate barely none because I am too
wrapped up in this tale to eat. Plus I got gravy on my berry. This
place is great. The kitchen lady came out and said "let's take a
vote. Should we cut the oreo pie?" People said yes so she did. What a
democracy here! All the cooks are 60 years or above so I know they
are seasoned. There is a tv on with days of our lives on with the
subtitles on so they can stop and watch it.
So I'm here with about 5 other hungry people and of course my cup is
always full of sweet tea.
The adult male busboy noticed I was texting (he thought) and walked
over and said "what did we do before we had it? What will we do know?"
I said what are you talking about? He said text messaging. I said oh I
don't know. He said "do you go to gulfport high?" I said no I'm way
past college and he said oh well you have a twin. I went to high
school with a girl like you. First of all, he's like 30. So if I was
currently in high school hopefully he's not still there?
Now we are finished eating and the nice lady just brought us some
complimentary vanilla pudding. That's funny but its so nice!
So now its kates naptime and I'm trying to entertain her. I can call today T day. Tire day 2008. A day that will live in
infamy. And NOW all the people I called are calling me back....
and at 3 pm we were released and ready to go. Thank you God for the fun, patience, and the ability to sit and call random friends on the side of the road-it was actually good!!!
Please send donations for the tire c/o Cammie Chapman.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment